RCA Theatre Company
Content taught through the Indigenous Cultural Diversity Training from First Light.
Cultural Humility – Create an environment where people feel safe expressing their culture.
How to learn cultural humility –
- Challenge personal biases.
- Be willing to adapt.
- Be aware of your privilege.
- Learn about other cultures.
- Interact with other cultures.
How to try and achieve cultural humility –
- Create an environment where people feel safe expressing their culture.
- Partner with cultural organisations.
Activities to celebrate culture –
- Traditional foods.
- Use of languages.
- Talking Circles.
Barriers to communication –
- Preconceived ideas.
- Difference in non-verbal cues.
- English as a second language.
- Culture shock.
- Lack of respect/understanding.
- Not wanting to ask for help.
- Family roles.
Removing cultural/communication barriers –
- Learn more about the culture.
- Watch for communicating styles.
- Think about their experiences.
- Make sure you understand each other.
- Be positive.
- If you don’t know, ask.
Cross Cultural Communication –
- Eye contact.
- Physical space between people.